Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Here We Go...

Yesterday afternoon I went to my 38-week prenatal visit. I had been having a suspicion that my water bag was leaking so I asked the doctor to check it out for me. There were no obvious signs of a tear, but just to be on the safe side, the doctor decided to do an ultrasound to make sure that I had enough fluid in there.

The ultrasound showed that there was 4 centimeters of fluid in my bag and there needs to be at least 5. The doctor told me that the normal amount of fluid is 8 to 10 centimeters. He said that it doesn't matter what the reason is for my fluid being low; I am full term and there is no need to continue being pregnant at this point. He said that it would be the safest to induce labor and deliver the baby before things get complicated.

Ha! Things "get complicated?" Well it is pretty complicated when you drop off your 3-year-old at the babysitter's house and drive to Chicago alone, only to have your "Check Engine" light come on en-route and your vehicle begins to make all sorts of funny noises. Then, you are told you can't go home because you have to get induced. So you call your husband and tell him to leave work, take your daughter to your in-laws and go home to pick up his stuff. Oh, and by the way, induction can take up to 2 days! How's that for complicated? "Honey, make sure you bring someone with to take home the van that is broken in the parking garage! And bring plenty of stuff to do because you won't be going home for a while!" Did I mention that today is Wednesday and Andy has a mid-term this Saturday? Complicated? I think so!

Ok...now that my rant is over; I am lying in a hospital bed attached to an IV drip with Pitocin (wonderful stuff...not!) and I also have a blood pressure cuff, a fetal heart rate monitor and a contraction monitor. I began this process last night at 6pm, which was about 3 hours after I was admitted. Oh, and I haven't been allowed to eat anything but liquids. That means Jello, broth, Italian ice and juice. Don't worry; I'm sure I'll keep my strength up for the next day and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment